Tennis elbow is a medical condition creating pain and soreness around the outer part of the elbow. Repetitive motion is generally the cause of the damage to the tendons which attach the forearm and elbow muscles. Tennis elbow treatment cost will vary with each individual. From the type of treatment to the degree of damage, numerous factors need to be considered.
The biggest factor to consider when estimating tennis elbow treatment cost is the type and coverage amount of the primary health care provider. Health insurance coverage is different with each individual patient. Depending on the type of coverage, co-pays and deductibles, health insurance will lower the amount of out of pocket costs for both surgical and non-surgical treatment methods.
Under most circumstances, using non-surgical methods is less expensive with a faster recovery rate. The non-surgical treatment approach has a high success rate with a majority of tennis elbow sufferers.
– Rest of the injured area is the least expensive way to help combat the symptoms of tennis elbow. By reducing activities or participating in sports, the elbow will have a chance to heal.
– Applying ice packs to the elbow to help reduce swelling and pain may be done at minimal costs.
– Another form of low-end tennis elbow treatment cost is the use of pain relievers. Pain medication may be purchased over the counter or by a prescription to help reduce symptoms associated with tennis elbow.
– Brace or other support aids are a lower tennis elbow treatment cost. In some cases, the cost is under $25.
– Cortisone injections to help reduce swelling and elevate pain are an effective method to treating tennis elbow with the minimum cost involved.
– Physical therapy is one of the higher non-surgical treatment cost for tennis elbow. Each session may run an uninsured patient over a $100. When four or five weeks of sessions are ordered, this form of tennis elbow treatment cost can add up quickly. The benefits often outweigh the costs by helping a patient reduce the painful symptoms and help restore range of movement.
When non-surgical methods fail to yield the desired results, surgery may be the next step in the treatment process. Depending on the type of health insurance coverage, surgery the tennis elbow treatment cost may be in thousands of dollars. Arthroscopy and open surgery are usually the two methods used to fix issues associated with tennis elbow. With most patients, the surgery for tennis elbow involves one of the following:
– The removal of inflamed tissue away from the tendon
– Providing a release for the tendon through an incision
– Repairing the tear in the tendons
Treatment Cost Tennis Elbow
The surgical method used to correct the medical issue depends on the degree of injury. When arthroscopy is used, the total cost may be lower than with traditional open surgery. If the surgery option requires the use of an anesthesiologist, the tennis elbow treatment cost will increase and an overnight stay in the hospital may need to be factored into the final expense.
The best way to determine tennis elbow treatment cost is to begin with an accurate diagnosis. Dr. Howard Marans will give a patient a complete explanation of the all available treatments with desired expectations for each approach. Please click below to schedule your consultation or call us at 714.979.8981.