Arthritis Treatment Options
hand-surgery-caIn general terms, arthritis is an inflammation of the joints. The daily occurrence is not uncommon. In the United Sates, millions of people handle the daily symptoms of arthritis in a variety of ways. When arthritis affects hands and wrists, normal activities may become painful and difficult to perform. Depending on the degree of degenerations, numerous arthritis treatment options are available to help relieve the symptoms.
When joints are inflamed or stiff due to arthritis, pain management may be the first focus in the various arthritis treatment options.
– Anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving drugs may be used either by a prescription or over the counter.
– Corticosteroid injections to help reduce and control inflammation which will allow for more flexibility within the joints. The steroid injections will be inserted into the wrist areas.
– Anti-rheumatic medication or analgesic to help reduce symptoms and modify the disease.
– Bracing and immobilization to help protect the wrist area by limiting movement. The limitation will help reduce the pain while performing daily activities.
Exercising is another important factor in combating the effects of arthritis.
– Maintain a healthy weight. Even a few extra pounds can increase the pressure on any joints. Discuss the ideal weight with the primary health care professional.
– Physical therapy may be prescribed as part of the arthritis treatment options to help gain flexibility in the joints.
– Daily exercise to help restore or improve range of motion in the wrist area while strengthening the muscles in the arm.
– Get enough rest each night or consider taking a daily nap to help combat fatigue. The symptoms of arthritis may leave a person feeling extra tired. Without proper rest, the symptoms may increase creating more problems.
When non-surgical methods have been exhausted or the degree of degeneration is too severe, surgery is the next step in the treatment process. Surgical arthritis treatment options usually fall into one of three categories.
– The removal of the arthritic bone also known as a proximal row corpectomy. The procedure will help combat the painful symptoms of the disease.
– Fusing the arthritic bones together in order to make one solid bone. The procedure may be a partial fusion method which will still allow for minimal movement and reducing pain. If the degree of degeneration is extensive, a full fusion of the bones is utilized. The full fusion eliminates painful symptoms by removing all wrist motion.
– Complete joint replacement may be used as a treatment method. A prosthetic joint will help a person recover range of movement within the wrist.
Before considering any arthritis treatment options, an accurate diagnosis should be obtained from a leading orthopedic doctor. Dr. Howard Marans understands all the symptoms affecting an arthritis sufferer. With over twenty years of experience, Dr. Marans strives to get each patient back to normal, daily activities free from painful symptoms.
Treatment Options For Arthritis
Working with various insurance companies, including PPO, Dr. Marans, and his friendly staff will help each person receive the highest level of care. Striving for an optimal outcome with each patient without creating an overwhelming financial burden. Please click below to schedule your consultation or call us at 714.979.8981.